Cellulitis: Signs, Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
Cellulitis is a common skin infection that occurs when bacteria – primarily staphylococcus and streptococcus – enters the body through cracking or peeling skin, insect or animal bites, or wounds or cuts.
Signs and Symptoms of Cellulitis
• Chills or shaking
• Pain or tenderness
• Hair loss at the site of infection
• Joint stiffness
• Sudden rash
• Stretched looking skin
• Warmness in the affected area
• General ill feeling
• Nausea and vomiting
If you experience any combination of the above symptoms, schedule an appointment with your podiatrist at your earliest convenience.
Treatment for Cellulitis
For the most part, treatment will involve the use of antibiotics. Cellulitis usually goes away with 7 – 10 days of antibiotics, however, hospitalization may be necessary if:
• You are very sick (for example, you have a very high temperature, blood pressure problems, or nausea and vomiting that does not go away)
• You have been on antibiotics and the infection is getting worse
• Your immune system is not working well (due to cancer, HIV)
• You require antibiotics through a vein (IV)
You can try to prevent cellulites and other skin infections by following these tips:
• To prevent cracking, use lotions or ointments.
• Wear comfortable shoes that fit your foot.
• Keep your toenails trimmed and avoid irritating the skin around your toenails.
• Wear protective equipment when at work or playing sports.
In the event of a break in the skin, do the following:
1. Clean the break with soap and water.
2. Apply an antibiotic cream or ointment.
3. Cover the break with a bandage and change it everyday until the wound scabs over.
4. Watch for signs of Cellulitis.
5. If you notice any signs or symptoms of Cellulitis, call your podiatrist.
If you have any other questions or wish to schedule an appointment, contact We Treat Feet Podiatry by clicking here to view our various locations and phone numbers!
We Treat Feet! That’s what we do. From the simplest nail problems, to the most complex foot deformities, we provide exceptional care in a kind and compassionate manner. We offer board certified physicians that have spent years learning the intricate structures and functions of the human foot and ankle. No knees or elbows here, only the best foot and ankle care available in Maryland.
From heel pain, bunions, Sports medicine injuries, broken bones, neuromas, hammertoes, and flatfeet to Achilles tendon problems, we have the most modern technology available to help you, including digital x-ray, diagnostic ultrasound, and vascular testing equipment.
Our physician team offers treatments for people of all ages, from infants to seniors. No foot is too big, no problem is too big, because remember, We Treat Feet!
You can check us out on Facebook and Twitter as well!