Heel pain should never be ignored, especially in growing children. It could be the first sign of a more serious problem.
Causes of Heel Pain in Children
- Growth plate inflammation on the back and the bottom of heel in children between 8 and 14.years of age
- Seen in active children who often go barefoot
- Poor foot posture such as low arch or extremely high arch feet causes overload of the heel
- May occur during growth spurts
Signs and Symptoms of Heel Pain in Children
- Pain to the heel bone at the end of an activity.
- Occasionally painful to the Achilles tendon
- Stiffness after sitting and getting up to walk
- Limping after sitting and getting up to walk, particularly after completion of athletic or exercise activity
- No evidence of redness or swelling
- Usually associated with tight lower extremity muscles
- Tenderness to press the area of the growth plate (area is demonstrated on picture below)
If you are experiencing any of the above signs and symptoms, schedule an appointment with We Treat Feet as soon as possible. And, most importantly, Don’t Ignore Heel Pain! Early intervention can make all the difference in your treatment and recovery. So contact the podiatric specialists at We Treat Feet when the first symptom arises.
Treatment of Heel Pain in Children
- Custom molded prescription orthotics (shoe inserts) to support poor foot posture(low arch or high arch feet)
- Heel lifts in the early stages of treatment to help decrease the pull of the tight calf muscle and Achilles tendon
- Stretching exercises to help stretch the tight calf muscles
- Physical Therapy Modalities to help reduce the inflammation
- Night splinting to prevent tightness or low grade spasm of the calf muscles while sleeping
- In severe cases, cast immobilization to allow the area to rest completely
If you have any other questions or wish to schedule an appointment, contact We Treat Feet Podiatry by clicking here to view our various locations and phone numbers!
We Treat Feet! That’s what we do. From the simplest nail problems, to the most complex foot deformities, we provide exceptional care in a kind and compassionate manner. We offer board certified physicians that have spent years learning the intricate structures and functions of the human foot and ankle. No knees or elbows here, only the best foot and ankle care available in Maryland.
From heel pain, bunions, Sports medicine injuries, broken bones, neuromas, hammertoes, and flatfeet to Achilles tendon problems, we have the most modern technology available to help you, including digital x-ray, diagnostic ultrasound, and vascular testing equipment.
Our physician team offers treatments for people of all ages, from infants to seniors. No foot is too big, no problem is too big, because remember, We Treat Feet!