Maryland’s hot and humid summer weather presents several unique problems for your feet, including eczema, psoriasis, blisters, fungal infections, and smelly feet. Luckily, there are several steps you can take to beat the heat and enjoy your summer to its fullest!
Summer Foot Care Tips
- Wash Your Feet: In the summer, your feet will sweat. This problem is compounded when you wear tight shoes. And where there is moisture, there is a potential for fungal infections. Because of this, it is important to wash your feet frequently during the summer months.
- Foot Powder: Foot powder is your friend. It will soak up excessive moisture and keep your feet fresh.
- Let Your Feet Breathe: Sandals and flip flops are great options in the summer. They will keep your feet nice and cool (and dry).
- Change Your Socks: The accumulation of moisture in your socks can make you more susceptible to a foot bacterial or fungal infection. To avoid this problem, change your socks frequently.
- Beware Locker Rooms: Always wear sandals or some other foot covering when walking around in a public locker room.
- Foot Support: The right shoe can make all the difference. Be sure that you have comfortable shoes that support your feet no matter what you are doing.
- Sunscreen: Many people completely forget to apply sunscreen to their feet! Use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 if you’re going to be barefoot outdoors or have your feet exposed.
If any foot problems persist, be sure to schedule an appointment with one of the foot care specialists at We Treat Feet!
If you have any other questions or wish to schedule an appointment, contact We Treat Feet Podiatry by clicking here to view our various locations and phone numbers!
We Treat Feet! That’s what we do. From the simplest nail problems, to the most complex foot deformities, we provide exceptional care in a kind and compassionate manner. We offer board certified physicians that have spent years learning the intricate structures and functions of the human foot and ankle. No knees or elbows here, only the best foot and ankle care available in Maryland.
From heel pain, bunions, Sports medicine injuries, broken bones, neuromas, hammertoes, and flatfeet to Achilles tendon problems, we have the most modern technology available to help you, including digital x-ray, diagnostic ultrasound, and vascular testing equipment.
Our physician team offers treatments for people of all ages, from infants to seniors. No foot is too big, no problem is too big, because remember, We Treat Feet!