The human foot is the perfect combination of 26 bones, 33 joints, 112 ligaments, and a network of tendons, nerves, and blood vessels – all working together to achieve graceful synergy. But when one of these perfectly balanced components is out of line, the results can be excruciating.
- See Your Podiatrist: Before starting any running program or regimen, schedule an appointment with your podiatrist. Your podiatrist will examine your feet and identify potential problems, discuss conditioning, prescribe an orthotic device that fits into a running shoe (if needed), and recommend the best style of footwear for your feet.
- Stretch: Proper stretching is important (5-10 minutes). When your muscles are properly warmed up, the strain on muscles, tendons, and joints is reduced.
- Proper Footwear: Shoe choice should be determined by weight, foot structure, and running regimen.
- Proper Socks: Fit your shoes with the socks that you plan to wear during your running. This is the only way to ensure the proper fit.
- Build Up Your Endurance: Start small and build up your distance slowly.
- Aches and Pains: Do not ignore foot pain; see your podiatrist. Common medical problems associated with running include: runner’s knee and shin splints.
If you have any other questions or wish to schedule an appointment, contact We Treat Feet Podiatry by clicking here to view our various locations and phone numbers!
We Treat Feet! That’s what we do. From the simplest nail problems, to the most complex foot deformities, we provide exceptional care in a kind and compassionate manner. We offer board certified physicians that have spent years learning the intricate structures and functions of the human foot and ankle. No knees or elbows here, only the best foot and ankle care available in Maryland.
From heel pain, bunions, Sports medicine injuries, broken bones, neuromas, hammertoes, and flatfeet to Achilles tendon problems, we have the most modern technology available to help you, including digital x-ray, diagnostic ultrasound, and vascular testing equipment.
Our physician team offers treatments for people of all ages, from infants to seniors. No foot is too big, no problem is too big, because remember, We Treat Feet!