What are “Growing Pains” and how do they affect Children? :: Podiatric Tips
The term “Growing Pains” is an overarching term for foot, ankle, and leg problems in growing children. And while growing pains may be fairly harmless, they could be the first signs of a more serious underlying problem, such as lower extremity malalignment.
Causes of Growing Pains in Children
- Flat feet or feet that appear to point to the outside.
- Children who are knock-kneed.
- Tight muscles, especially the calf, hamstrings and external rotator muscles of the hips.
Symptoms of Growing Pains in Children
- Pain during physical activity, especially along the inside of the shinbone, ankle, and foot.
- Premature fatigue during strenuous physical activity.
- A sedentary lifestyle or a general avoidance of activity and sports.
- Leg pain, especially at night.
- Lower back pain.
Treatment of Growing Pains in Children
- The Right Footwear: Changing to more supportive shoes will help support the feet and lower extremity better.
- Orthotics: Custom molded prescription orthotics (shoe inserts) realign the lower extremity. In many cases this will have a relatively quick positive effect on the leg pains these children are experiencing.
- Physical Therapy: A more hands-on approach, like physical therapy, can help improve overall muscle flexibility and improve muscle strength, coordination and balance.
If you have any other questions or wish to schedule an appointment, contact We Treat Feet Podiatry by clicking here to view our various locations and phone numbers!
We Treat Feet! That’s what we do. From the simplest nail problems, to the most complex foot deformities, we provide exceptional care in a kind and compassionate manner. We offer board certified physicians that have spent years learning the intricate structures and functions of the human foot and ankle. No knees or elbows here, only the best foot and ankle care available in Maryland.
From heel pain, bunions, Sports medicine injuries, broken bones, neuromas, hammertoes, and flatfeet to Achilles tendon problems, we have the most modern technology available to help you, including digital x-ray, diagnostic ultrasound, and vascular testing equipment.
Our physician team offers treatments for people of all ages, from infants to seniors. No foot is too big, no problem is too big, because remember, We Treat Feet!